Monday, May 01, 2006

NYC vs. DC

Whenever Lynn comes to visit me in DC she always comments on how different people look here as compared to people in New York City. I've been to NYC enough to know what people there look like. It's a fairly cosmopolitan city and so is DC. Sure, there are more people who dress, shall we say, "alternatively" in NYC but it's still pretty much the same, right?

Well, I was wrong. During my weekend visit to New York, I looked at the city differently than I have before thanks to Lynn's comments about DC. She was so right and I was so wrong. There is something very different about the people here and there. I can't quite place my finger on what that difference is and why it exists, but it's there. Strange I never noticed before.

I was sitting next to a nice 27-year-old guy named Todd on the bus home and I mentioned my new finding. He gave one potential reason for the difference. He said that he feels like DC has a higher percentage of international people and compared the two cities' bars/clubs as proof. In DC, he thinks that the clientele at expensive bars/clubs is at least 20% international whereas the clientele at similar bars/clubs in NYC is only about 5% international. Perhaps...

Anyone else have any theories?

|