Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Are you articulate?

My friend Lana just sent me a fabulous NY Times article called "The Racial Politics of Speaking Well." I'm having trouble articulating* my points about Lynette Clemetson's piece but I think she sums things up pretty well with her tag line: "Maybe it’s time for a national therapy session on the word 'articulate.'" I strongly encourage you to read the article and will leave you with this excerpt:
"The word perfectly conveys, to quote George Bush, the soft bigotry of low expectations. It literally comes down to that. When people say it, what they are really saying is that someone is articulate ... for a black person."
~Anna Perez, former deputy assistant to President Bush and communications counselor to Condoleezza Rice when she was national security adviser.

* Ha!

Labels: ,

|