Monday, June 23, 2008

Days 24 - 27: Wedding in Bangalore!

"South Indian weddings are so boring," I was informed. "There's no alcohol; there's not enough dancing. They're just so boring."

Maybe for North Indians, South Indian weddings are boring, but for a westerner like me, they're awesome. There was a mehendi party, where I got henna tatooed on my arm and hand. There was the story of the bride and groom told through a Bollywood-ish dance. And then there was the food. Lots and lots of food. Sometimes it was served on plates, sometimes it was served on leaves; almost always it was eaten with the right hand (which I finally did properly!!!).

At the various wedding events, I met so many nice people and took fabulous pictures. I am very glad I came to India to see the wedding and I wish the bride and groom a very happy marriage!

Other happenings while in Bangalore
No trip to a major city in India would be complete without a trip to the mall. The experience was a bit chaotic but I did end up with a nice shirt from Fabindia. In Bangalore, I also got a chance to see some of India's nightlife. We went to a club one night and it was... interesting. Everything closes at 11:30 pm in Bangalore so the party has to get started early. While Hint was a pretty nice club, we didn't get there until about 10 so I didn't have time to really enjoy it. It was worth seeing, but I think I prefer to go out later. Maybe I'd get used to it if I lived in Bangalore.

One last note: Three of my former classmates and I were staying at a service apartment in Bangalore and it was really nice. We had room service and a guy to help us with a lot of things, even though there was a language barrier. We also had a driver while we were in Bangalore and that was absolutely awesome. Having a driver in a big city and never having to worry about parking, etc... I wonder if I'll ever be able to do that in the States!

Labels: ,

|