Sunday, April 04, 2004

Movie madness!!!!

Finally, I'm going to review the movies I've seen in the past month or so. Beginning with the most recently seen one and working backwards, here goes:


1. About Adam is an entertaining film about a fellow called Adam, played by Stuart Townsend, and his "relationship" with his girlfriend's family. I borrowed About Adam from the library so, having paid nothing for it, I wasn't disappointed. If you want to hear Kate Hudson attempting an Irish accent, this is the movie for you.

2. The Princess and the Warrior (aka Der Krieger und die Kaiserin) reunites Run Lola Run's director, Tom Tykwer, and lead actress, Franka Potente. Though not as good as Run Lola Run, the film is haunting and contains some achingly beautiful scenes. I always enjoy watching Franka Potente and I found Benno Fuhrmann's character captivating.

3. Nine Queens (aka Nueve Reinas) is like The Italian Job or a David Mamet movie only everyone is speaking Spanish. I was a little tired when I saw this one so I missed some of the plot. Overall an enjoyable movie but it didn't blow my mind with its brilliance or have me on the edge of my seat with its suspense.

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the latest movie from writer Charlie Kaufman. This film is better than Adaptation but not as good as Being John Malkovich. Jim Carrey, who I usually find incredibly annoying, and Kate Winslet are excellent. The cast also includes a very creepy Elijah Wood, a very cute Mark Ruffalo, a bubbly-as-usual Kirsten Dunst, and an American-accented Tom Wilkinson.

5. I really enjoyed Igby Goes Down, the story of an extremely rich and troubled seventeen-year-old boy. The cast alone, which includes Kieran Culkin, Claire Danes, Jeff Goldblum, Ryan Phillippe, Amanda Peet, Susan Sarandon, and Bill Pullman, should be enough to convince you to watch this movie.


6. Solas is a slice-of-life Spanish movie. If you like foreign movies where everyone talks a lot but not much happens, this one's for you. Enjoyable but forgettable.

7. Seabiscuit was everything I expected to be. It made me cry and it made me lose myself in the story. Definitely worth watching and I don't even like horses.

8. L'Auberge Espagnole is about a group of young foreigners living together in a Spanish apartment. An excellent film that made me want to live abroad again. I'm getting nostalgic just writing this.

9. In America transported me into the life of an Irish family and introduced me to Djimon Hounsou, who will be included in my next "Sexiest Men Alive" list. This movie is wonderful and incredibly sad. Make sure you have a lot of tissues on hand.

10. The Station Agent tells the story of three people who befriend each other after moving to a small town in New Jersey. The movie is well done in a very understated way. It's definitely one of the best indie movies of 2003.

And that concludes my movie reviews. I think I remembered everything I've seen lately. Feel free to comment or ask for more info about any of them. Since I'm a movie junkie, suggestions for future viewings are encouraged.

Labels:

|