Thursday, October 21, 2004

So much more emo than emo

I don't know how some kids can call themselves emo just because they listen to emo (that's a genre of music that's supposed to be emotional, if you were wondering). I've seen these people at concerts and they don't look very emotional to me. All they do is stand there, clutching their backpack straps and rocking back and forth. Now I'll tell you who really is emo... the fans of alternative metal or heavy metal or whatever you would call the Deftone's music. Those kids can rock. I stood at the back of the 9:30 Club all by my lonesome, but it didn't matter. I was there for the music and so was the majority of the audience. Almost no one was talking, but there was a lot of movement. I've never seen so many people at one concert who didn't give a damn about what others thought. I saw the usual moshing and crowd surfing, but there were also a lot of people connecting to the music in their own ways. It was pretty amazing to watch and be a part of.

Now I said almost no one was talking, but I'll admit I had some interesting conversations. In between the opening act and the Deftones, I talked with two guys from West Virginia and their friend from Richmond. One of the guys from WVA was nicknamed Chavez even though he's Italian and Filipino. He proved to be closed-minded and ignorant and explained that he knows all about Mexico because people have been thinking he's Mexican all his life. This was after I said that I lived in a college town in Mexico and he countered with, "There are college towns in Mexico?" My other fun conversations were during the concert after someone lit up an incredibly awful smelling cigar.

So, as you can see, I had a pretty good time at the show even though I had to go alone. The band was great and I actually had more fun than I did at my last 9:30 Club show when I saw La Ley with a Peruvian who thought it was fun to sing along with every song he knew.

|