Monday, October 10, 2005

Back from the wilds of Virginia

My family and I have never been big camping people so it was no surprise that when we went to the country this weekend, we chose to stay at Lightwood. Lightwood is a beautiful house from the year 1760, which is surrounded by 100 acres of land. Due to inclement weather and my disinterest in most outdoorsy activities, I didn't see much of those hundred acres but I loved staying at the house. At first the overpowering musty smell of the ancient dining room made me question whether I could actually stay in such a stifling place, but the smell quickly became unnoticeable. Each room was well-restored and well-furnished. I was also a little worried that such an old house in the middle of nowhere would be creepy; instead it felt almost instantly as if it were my own house. Even after attending Howl-O-Scream at night at nearby Busch Gardens, I slept soundly.

And now for the highlights of the weekend...
  • Riding Curse of Darkastle

  • Watching my stepmom get a fake tatoo painted on her back while the boys were off riding rollercoasters

  • Reading the unbelievable words "ATM inside" on a church sign

  • Finding one of the best salads I've ever had today after eating way too much meat at other meals
This weekend I also learned something very important: I might be too old to enjoy amusement parks anymore. I wouldn't mind going on some rides at a fair every now and then, but I think I'm going to avoid amusement parks until I've got kids. I still remember how I used to think that I would never get sick of toys and rides and games. I was so wrong.

(Note to friends and family: See how I just admitted that I was "so wrong." See how I'm not always right and that I'm willing to admit that I am wrong. I was sooo right about my ability to do that.)

|