Saturday, March 04, 2006

Brazilian Girls

Last night I saw the Brazilian Girls play at 9:30 Club and the show was soooo much better than last week's Fray concert. I'm not sure how I feel about the Brazilian Girls' music (Mr. Trash has their album on his iPod and I like the music whenever it comes on but, at the show, the lead singer reminded me of Bjork and Lady Miss Kier from Deee-lite. Isn't anyone original anymore?), but I definitely enjoyed myself.

I'd been sick all week so I wasn't sure if I was going to make the show on Friday, and I had already missed the Deftones concert on Thursday (*sniff*). By Friday night, I was tired of relaxing so I took some DayQuil and headed down to Columbia Heights to pick up some friends. Then we drove on to the 9:30 Club. At the club, I guzzled water and spent the majority of the show next to the lighting guy (It pays to have gone to school in the area. I went to high school with one of the lighting people and I went to college with the head of security.). Since I'm only 5'2", my spot was great because the lighting board is in the center of the club and it's raised enough to see the stage perfectly. The Brazilian Girls put on a good show so seeing the stage was key.

From now on, I think I'm going to have to go to more expensive concerts (Brazilian Girls was $25 and The Fray was only $10) by artists who are not as well known (Brazilian Girls doesn't get major radio play but The Fray is one of VH1's current artists to watch).

3.8.06 Note: Just because I enjoyed myself doesn't mean that I thought the Brazilian Girls were great in concert. The show was fun, but not life-changing, mind-blowing, or even that original. I don't think I'd pay $25 to see the Brazilian Girls again, but don't hold me to that.

|