Sunday, August 03, 2003

Something about the weather

I consider Radiohead to be one of my favorite bands but I've discovered that I no longer have the desire to listen to them. Because this is so disturbing to me, I try not to think about it much. I always hate when I have worn out a band to the point of no return. I did it with Jeff Buckley, but he's not making new albums. I figured that as long as a band continued to produce quality music I couldn't get sick of it. When I got my hands on Radiohead's latest album, Hail to the Thief, this theory was proven wrong, wrong, wrong. I couldn't even bring myself to listen to the whole album. I was struck by the horrible thought that I had become one of those people who no longer enjoys new music. No! That couldn't be... but it was true. One of my favorite bands had put out an excellent album and I had no desire to listen.

Something about the weather tonight made me try Hail to the Thief again. As I drove to my uncle's house for a rousing night of tofu and jigsaw puzzles, I listened to the album while the rain-ready air flew through my windows. Well, guess what? I liked it; I really did. Thank God.

|