Monday, October 06, 2003

Hip-hop hooray!

A few weeks back, someone handed me a free drink coupon for Krunk, a hip-hop dance night in Bethesda. For those of you who are familiar with Bethesda, right now you're probably thinking, "Bethesda? Hip-hop? No way! That can't be good." Despite my own doubts about having a good time at a Bethesda dance night, the free drink, free admission, and cheap drink specials lured me in this week.

When my friends and I first arrived around 10:30, we looked around at all of the older people dining in a music-free environment and immediately decided we were drinking our free drinks and finding a more interesting way to spend our Saturday night. Lucky for us, mid-drink the lights dimmed, tables were removed, and a DJ started his set. Within fifteen minutes the room was filled and an open mic for MCs had begun. My friend Ben made an 8 Mile crack but, while I do agree that watching free-styling in the suburbs is a little silly, I have to admit that some of the MCs were pretty good. After all the MCs had taken a turn at the mic, the DJ started spinning some excellent music.

Over the course of the night, Krunk proved that a hip-hop night in Bethesda can actually be fun. All the DJs that night played a good mix of music, adding in the occasional mainstream song. There wasn't as much dancing going on as I would have liked but most of the dancing that I did see was pretty good. The thing that surprised me the most was the crowd. The type of people I usually see at Bethesda hot spots were absent; there were no preppies or girls in designer outfits. Instead, there were incredibly nice, unpretentious people who were just out to have a good time. If you're in the Bethesda area and like to dance, you should definitely check out Krunk. Just learn from my mistake and don't get there too early. : )

|