Sunday, February 29, 2004

Book of the month

For Christmas my brother gave me a book because it had a poodle on the cover (we have a poodle). It looked interesting. Then I opened it up and saw that the book was written from the perspective of a fifteen-year-old autistic boy (I work with autistic children). It looked even more interesting. Then I read the first few sentences (It was 7 minutes after midnight. The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs. Shears's house. Its eyes were closed. It looked as if it was running on its side, the way dogs run when they think they are chasing a cat in a dream. But the dog was not running or asleep. The dog was dead.) and I was hooked. Dear readers, I encourage you to read this book. Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" is well worth checking out. Even better, it's a good book and a quick read. Now how often does that happen?

P.S. If you want more of a reason to read this book, take a look at the wonderfully written spotlight review on amazon.com entitled "Wonderfully accurate -- as an autistic, I should know! :-)."

|