Friday, June 11, 2004

Strange conversation

I just got in an argument with my father about my personals ads. I read him what I had written in the "religion" section: "I was raised in a Buddhist household but I don't really believe in anything. I'm looking for someone who won't hold my lack of faith against me or try to convert me." My dad told me that Buddhists don't believe in anything. I explained that I know that Buddhism is not a religion but that Buddhists do believe in some things. For example, they believe in meditation. He did not find my answer amusing and said that "believe" and "belief" are different. I know this but I thought he was getting worked up over nothing, and I was trying to lighten the mood. A few minutes later I asked him why he was in such a bad mood. He breathed heavily and said that he finds it frustrating that I've been around Buddhism for twenty years and still don't understand it.

In my defense, my father has rarely explained anything about Buddhism to me. My mother, on the other hand, has told me a lot about Buddhism. My guess is that my father's take on Buddhism is much different than my mother's. Since I haven't bothered to finish reading any Buddhist texts, all I know is what I've been taught. That is not my fault.

|