Sunday, February 27, 2005

Last night was a bit of a bust

Went to an eviction party and ended up at Wonderland. Saw a lot of familiar faces. Saw some immature and just plain wrong behavior. Saw a lot of really, really godawful dancing.

My beef. Eviction parties are lame. I have no desire to sit around watching idiots destroy a house. I don't care how horrible the landlord is, I don't care how much you've had to drink, and I really don't care that you think it's fun to break shit. After all is said and done, someone will have to clean up the mess and someone new will live in that house. When you and your idiot friends decided it was a good idea to go outside and smash lightbulbs with field hockey sticks, did you ever stop to think that, in the near future, a child or an animal might be playing on that lawn? I didn't think so... which is why I left that party as fast as I could.

As for Wonderland, it doesn't have the feel it had just a few months ago. One thing that I liked about the bar was its clientele. An eclectic mix of clothes and colors and styles. Last night the upstairs was packed with a very homogenous crowd of non-descript people. People you wouldn't stop to look twice at on the street because they look so "normal" in a freaky "we are all the same" sort of way. It wouldn't have surprised me if Wonderland had been taken over by hipsters, but this was different. I know I'm sounding like a snob right now, but I want the old Wonderland back. Of course, I should be clear here. I do not live in Columbia Heights; in fact, I do not even live in DC. I know that my suburban address makes me the equivalent of a NYC "bridge and tunnel" person. Still, I feel I click more with the Wonderland vibe than the majority of the people I saw there last night. Oh well. Great bars get good press; the word spreads and the masses come. It used to bother me when unknown bands made it big, but I got over that. I suppose I will get over this, too.

|