Monday, March 06, 2006

Chef Elise

I just cooked chicken for the first time ever! It's not for me to eat (I made it for a friend who just lost his mom) but I'm still very excited.

I've never been much of a cook. In high school, I tried making these yummy Quaker Oatmeal cookies from scratch (there was a recipe on the side of the box) and I forgot the flour both times I made the recipe (In my defense, I figured out the mistake much quicker the second time).* In college, I made lots of burritos (I do make awesome burritos), pasta, and mini pizzas on crackers. When I lived in Mexico, I made lots of tortilla sandwiches (having a fresh produce guy around the corner was awesome). These days, I pretty much subsist off of yogurt, cereal, granola bars, fruit leather, frozen meals (primarily Amy's brand), food that other people cook, and restaurant food.

I've always said that I need to either marry a man who cooks or get rich enough so that I can hire a personal chef. Now that I've gotten to the age (nearly 27!) where get togethers are often dinner parties and potlucks, perhaps my habits will change. At the beginning of February I cooked my first-ever lasagna for my potluck (you may have read about that in my pinata post). Two real meals cooked in two consecutive months. Maybe I will finally learn how to cook!


* For the first time since high school, I made these cookies (Choc-Oat Chip Celebration Cookies) again this January and brought them to work to celebrate the end of my business school applications. People loved them. The day after I brought them, a co-worker stopped by to check if I had anymore (I didn't). Over a month after I made them, another co-worker mentioned how great my cookies were. In a way, that's three real cooking experiences in three consecutive months. Whoa!

Labels: , ,

|