Saturday, July 19, 2003

It's a mad world

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
And their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tommorow, no tommorow
And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
'Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very, very
Mad World

~ from "Mad World" by Tears for Fears
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Earlier I watched the Donnie Darko DVD. I've loved that movie for a while now but I never had the chance to look at all the DVD extras. I had so many great theories about what was going on in that movie and then I watched the writer/director's commentary. It's kind of sad that you can't really speculate about the meaning of a movie anymore. Thanks to DVDs you get all the information the creators want to give you. In all honesty, I was a bit disappointed by the commentary for Donnie Darko. I think the meaning I thought the movie had was, and still is, much more interesting than the actual meaning that the writer/director intended. Despite these feelings, I still consider Donnie Darko one of my favorite movies. Ever since I finished the DVD, "It's a Mad World" has been running through my head and my heart has maintained a sullen, sunken feeling. Now, if only all that would go away so I could sleep.

Labels:

|