Thursday, November 03, 2005

Pleasantly surprised

Max DaviesI've known Max Davies since he was eleven and I was thirteen. Over the years, I've watched Max grow into a fine young man. The last time I saw him, I had just graduated college. Even though I had known Max forever, I don't think I'd heard his music until that summer. While I saw potential in the songs he played for me, I wasn't a big fan of his lyrics; they just didn't sound like him. Now, I'm sure there are plenty of 20-year-olds out there who are making amazing music, but most of them haven't quite figured out who they are yet. I think that knowing who you are, or at least accepting how you are, is instrumental to writing good lyrics.

Fast forward four years. Max sends out an email announcing his first cd. "Of course, I want one," I respond. "I'll even pay!" Once I manage to send him a check, he ships out my cd. With my check, I send him a silly note about how I want to support the arts. With his cd, he sends a touching note of thanks.

Rewind to one hour ago. I put the cd into my computer, praying that it won't be bad. The first song, Emissary for a Future Self, comes on. Not bad. Song after song plays and I am pleasantly surprised. Sometimes I even forget that the unfamiliar voice is Max. He sounds like a mixture of Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Mike Patton, and Billy Idol. Mmmmmm... Billy Idol. I hate to admit it to myself, but in the immortal words of Paris Hilton, "That's hot." The melodies are catchy, the instruments all mesh together, and I decide that I'll definitely be listening to the album some more. After all, I've been instant messaging with a friend from Mexico so I haven't been able to pay close attention to the lyrics. My cursory listen, however, convinces me that Max, who is now 25, has matured. I am very impressed.

Listen here: Max Davies' Fear in the Backseat
Best songs to listen to: Fear in the Backseat, Doors

P.S. If you have additions to the "Max sounds like..." list, please leave a comment or write me. I feel like there's a singer that Max sounds a lot like, but I can't think of who and it's driving me crazy.

Labels:

|