Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 32: Auckland

I arrive in the Auckland airport after a 9.5 hour sleepless, slightly uncomfortable flight and find out the Kiwis are very, very strict about items entering their country. At the baggage claim, I see two dogs roaming around sniffing people's bags for... not drugs but fruit. I have to go through the most rigorous screening process because I have fruit, nuts, and dirty hiking boots (thanks, Mt. Olympus!). Lucky for me, all my food is allowed and my boots get a free washing.

As I have hardly slept in days, I switch my 4-bed dorm booking to a private room at the Freeman's Bed and Breakfast. I'm shelling out more money than I would like but I need a good night's sleep. The B&B, it turns out, is run by Indians! It turns out there are plenty of Indians here in NZ. There are also a huge number of Japanese, including three very sweet girls who work at the B&B for free rooms.

After getting settled in, I decide to go for a walk around town. It's 3 pm and I've only got 2 hours before sunset. Stupidly, I leave my raincoat at the B&B and, when it begins to rain, my little umbrella doesn't do me much good thanks to the wind. The streets of Auckland are almost entirely empty. There are plenty of cars but no pedestrians. The roads are far friendlier to the cars. I wonder how old or disabled people manage to cross streets when the little green walk sign turns off when I'm less than halfway through every intersection.

At the end of my walk, I go in search of food, which is nearly impossible to find on a Saturday afternoon. Everything is closed!!! I end up at Subway sandwiches and decide to test the ability of my stomach to eat more than just bread. Then on my walk home, my right calf cramps up so much that I have to stop. Owwww. Walk. Again. Walk. Left calf. Ack! I am only a few blocks away from the B&B now but I'm worried that if the cramps keep it up, I'm going to have to sit down in the rain and wait for someone to help me. I want to cry and give up but I'm already wet and I just want to be in bed. I make it back without more leg problems, hop in bed, and turn on the tv. Lucky for me, some of the funniest episodes of Fresh Prince and Aliens in America are on followed by the movie She's the Man. 9 pm. Time for bed but I'm not tired anymore. Ack again! I manage to sleep from 10 til midnight and then I'm up again. Time for free Internet. 1 am. I try the sleep thing again and it works. Thank god!

Labels: ,

|