Sunday, July 20, 2003

Hit me baby one more time

Something about Mexico seems to make fights more common and more accepted. Maybe it's the machismo, maybe it's the absence of political correctness, or maybe it's the lax laws. Who knows? All I know is that I saw more fights in a town of a little over 100,000 people than I have seen in all my years in the United States. "So what?" you may think. But, for those who don't know me, I have lived and gone out in many a US city. New York, DC, New Haven, and Denver. The only fight I can even remember seeing in the US was in the streets of Denver in broad daylight. Then I move to a little town in Mexico and I see at least a half dozen fights.

Well, apparently, I have brought the chaotic Mexican energy back with me to the States. Tonight I went to a bar for the first time since Mexico and I saw the worst fight I have ever seen. Basically, a guy thought his girlfriend was cheating on him so he pushed her hard while she was sitting down. When another girl pulled him aside to try to calm him down, he pushed her into the stage where a band was playing and then plowed himself into his girlfriend and proceeded to punch her and another guy and girl. The music stopped, the noise stopped, all the bartenders ran over, and I ran up to the bathroom. I just couldn't take it anymore. When I returned, the guy had been kicked out and his friends were still trying to figure out what happened. And I thought Mexicans were jealous... Damn.

|