Monday, March 07, 2005

When will I learn?


Popular bands sell out. The Deftones sold out by the time I made it to the 9:30 Club box office (I know I can buy tickets online or by phone but I'm too stubborn to pay the service charge.). The same thing happened with Chevelle. Lucky me, I always seem to get my butt in the door.

Last night, Kelly and I stood outside of the 9:30 Club just after the doors had opened. I was hoping that someone would have a Chevelle ticket to get rid of. As I was waiting I was talking with Josh, who I believe is head of security there, because we know each other from college. Josh and I had been talking about last night's show when I came to the club a few weeks ago to see Le Tigre. He had told me that (1) Helmet, who was touring with Chevelle, is great in concert and (2) Chevelle and co. would be playing an un-sold out show in Baltimore on March 7. Seeing as I work on weekdays, the Monday show was not an option for me. It was Saturday or never. So I'm talking to Josh and, out of the blue, he asks, "How many tickets do you need?" One, I gesture. He disappears for a few minutes and comes back holding a little red carnival ticket. "Enjoy the show," he says and hands me the ticket. How great is that? I hugged him thank you and headed off to my friends' engagement party.

Around 11, I headed back to the club alone in time to catch most of Helmet's set. They were pretty good but the crowd, which consisted of a lot of people I would probably never hang out with, was only interested in seeing Chevelle. Still, as I was alone, I was able to move around at will so I avoided most of the talkers. In between bands, I was quite popular. I ended up talking to three different groups of guys. One man I talked with had even been to Guanajuato. I also learned that I went to high school with 9:30's lighting man. He bought me a beer halfway through Chevelle, but I was unable to accept because I was driving that night.

So how was Chevelle? I have to admit that I really enjoyed the show. Ever since I saw the Deftones several months ago, I've come to realize that I really like seeing live music by myself. I feel freer to do what I want. I can move if someone's bothering me and I don't have to worry about whether or not the people I'm with are having a good time. But the best part is that I can be in my own world. I can close my eyes and dance and pretend like it's just me and the music...

Cause I said wrong/ You comfortable liar...

|