Monday, December 05, 2005

Prom

When I was in high school, I did not attend any of the school dances... not even senior prom. Even though a part of me wanted to go to prom, I didn't go because (1) nobody asked me and (2) my best friend had no interest in the dance and I couldn't imagine going without her. Instead, my best friend and I held our own "anti-prom." We got a motley crew together* and enjoyed a midnight meal at Bistro Francais in Georgetown. Afterward, we headed over to our high school for a post prom celebration. In order to convince students to stay at post prom, the PTA** held a raffle with a number of appealing prizes. I was the lucky winner of a television. All in all, anti-prom was a huge success. I had a lot of fun, spent $20,^ and won a tv. Still, I secretly wished that I had gotten to attend at least one real dance.

Well, my wish just came true. Last night, my organization held its annual holiday gala in the National Building Museum's Great Hall. I got to dress up, dance, and I even had a date. I had a great time, was so dressed up that my office-mate didn't recognize me, and even got to take a "prom" picture.^^ I'm so glad that I've grown up and realized that I am not too cool to go to dances.


* In addition to the two of us, we were joined by one boy whose girlfriend was in Russia, one gay junior, and one girl whose date had been banned from prom for drinking at a previous school event.
** PTA = Parent Teacher Association
^ I drove my dad's car and wore a dress I already owned. I spent $20 on dinner.
^^ Upon entering the Great Hall, each couple received six free drink tokens and one carnival ticket that was good for one professional photo.

|