Sunday, March 13, 2005

Giving Wonderland another shot



Last night my plans to crash a party in Arlington fell through, so I ended up at Wonderland once again. After my last Wonderland experience (check out the post from February 27), I wasn't thinking that I'd have a very good time at the bar ever again. Still, DJ Dave Nada was spinning and my original plans were a bust. What's a girl to do?

Jill, Scott, and I walked into Wonderland around 10:30 when the crowd was just beginning to filter in. Immediately, I could see that the night was going to be different than the last time. The clientele was already more interesting than on February 27; by midnight, a huge, motley crowd covered the upstairs room. Mr. Dave Nada was keeping the dance floor packed, as always, with his fabulous skills (See him if you can. I love this kid. He DJs regularly at Krunk and I'm hoping we'll be seeing more of him at Wonderland). In a long sleeve shirt and tight jeans, I wasn't dressed for dancing but I couldn't stop myself. After about an hour of moving and sweating, my clothes were pushed up and folded over in every way I could manage. Without a doubt, the top floor of Wonderland gets hot! I heard one sweaty dancer tell his friend that he felt he'd dropped 20 lbs on the dance floor. The heat didn't deter people and, I'm happy to say, the dancing was much better than back in February.

I'm starting to think that Wonderland, like so many other bars and clubs, is going to have some on nights and some not-so-on nights. The clientele is probably dependent on the evening's entertainment. So when there's a good, get-down DJ like Dave Nada I'm probably going to like the crowd, and when there's a mediocre band with a lot of loyal friends, I might have a night like February 27.

Look at me. I'm learning!

In other news, Jenn and I went to Tonic for brunch. Yum! Definitely the place for brunch in the Columbia Heights/ Mount Pleasant area.

(3.14.05 note: For more on Krunk, check out my post from October 5, 2003. I haven't been to Krunk since the dance night moved from South Beach in Bethesda to Singapore Bistro in DC but, from what I've heard, it's well worth a trip.)

|