Monday, September 12, 2005

What you really should learn in school

It drives me nuts that high school students are not required to take a life skills class. I feel like my friends and I missed out on a lot of this and are now playing catch-up. I am lucky enough to have a lot of resources, including a well-educated family, but I know that I am in the minority in this country. What about everybody else? That's why I propose that the traditional home economics class should be revamped and cover the following topics:
  • Finances (credit cards, budgeting, saving, investing, debt, insurance, mortgages, utility bills, etc.)

  • Work-Related Issues (how to look for work, how to negotiate salary and benefits, health insurance, 401k plans, etc.)

  • Basic Home Skills (cooking, sewing, ironing, basic maintenance)

  • How to be a Successful, Respectful Spouse and Parent
Here are two websites I found that have to do with the first item on my list, finance:
Both of these websites were created by Visa and they're actually pretty good resources. If you do check them out, please let me know what you think. One of these days, I really am going to start a revolution, but I'll need your input to do it.

|