Saturday, January 28, 2006

Brunch discovery


This morning I called Kelly up to go to brunch. Where should we go? Tonic?* Tryst? The Diner? Then Kelly said that her roommate had been to some new place, name unknown, in Woodley Park that was owned by the same people as Tryst and The Diner. Wait a minute! Tryst and The Diner are owned by the same people? I had no idea. I looked on the Tryst website for more info about this new brunch place. Nothing.

Kelly said she knew where the restaurant was so we (Kelly, the boyfriend, and I) hopped in my car and headed to Calvert Street, looking for a new brunch place. What we found was Open City. Sure enough, it was owned by the folks at Tryst (Open City uses Tryst napkins and has a map on the back of the menu showing where Tryst and The Diner are located.). Even though Open City must be very new (obviously, since I just heard about it and I know everything about DC**), there was still a wait. I suppose they got that from Tryst and The Diner, too.

Right about now you're probably saying, "So what? Tell us about the food already." I'm not a big brunch person, but I had been craving Eggs Benedict. Sadly, they were not on the menu, so I settled for fresh squeezed orange juice, a yummy fresh fruit cup, and an egg sandwich (which turned out to be an unseasoned egg on an English muffin). Kelly had a very nice looking salad and a good cheese omelet (she did point out that it's very hard to mess up a cheese omelet, though). The boyfriend, who you all know as Mr. Trash, had pancakes (they were multigrain or whole wheat or something... I can't remember) and bacon. He was happy with his food, but he is always happy with his food.

So, what's the verdict? The food was decent, the atmosphere was pleasant, and our waitress was great. I'll definitely go back, but I'll eat something else next time (perhaps a sandwich from the lunch menu or the french toast, which I eyed at the table next to ours). I'll also be ready for the wait, which was great today because of the nice weather, but could be dreadful in the cold or rain.

*I wanted to try the pizza at Radius next door and bring it into Tonic.
**Please note the sarcasm. I do know a lot about food in DC though. To prove the newness of Open City, here is a DCist post about the opening.

|